Bill,
Interestingly, this is my main concern too - and I agree the quotes given by Joe go straight to Peirce¨s late definition of Sign as a medium for communication. I have explored a bit these ideas in an article (in Portuguese) in which Peirce¨s definiton of Perfect Sign in terms of Entelechy is related to the dispute between Poincar¨ and Boltzmann (and how all this relates to Prigogine¨s ideas)

http://www.eca.usp.br/caligrama/n_2/1%20ViniciusRomanini.pdf
I might have it translated into English in some weeks, if you are interested.
Best,
Vinicius

Bill Bailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Joe,
Thank you for the below post--which I've cut away all but
it's identification. I don't find entelechy of particular
interest, but I'm in awe of Peirce's conception of
communication and mediation. It's ready to bottle and label.
Bill Bailey