Random thoughts on Western science

I have little trouble in respecting the achievements of what we're calling
Western science; however, on an economics list I think that a note of caution
might be in order.

Economists often attempt to piggyback their work on the concept of science --
even though most science is inductive and what economists refer to as science
is a set of deductions from dubious premises.

Attempting to give a more holistic analysis, such as Marx tried to do it
appears unscientific or even sociological within economic circles.

Economists' attempt to "verify" their theories empirically is rarely
convincing to me.  First of all, most of the econometric tests are very
brittle.  Second, much of the data is highly questionable.  When I was in
graduate school, I paid attention to the construction of the statistics of the
capital stock.  I found it ironic that economists would pay great attention to
their residuals without taking account of the weakness of the data that they
use.  Some of you may be familiar with Oskar Morgenstern's On the Accuracy of
Economic Observations.

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department