Oh, I have followed this thread a bit, sorry, there is so much email.

Melvin makes a fabulous analysis because he points out the opening of a
positive space in which opposition to capital can occupy, both in theory and
in reality. He has identified fertile ground on which an alternative economy
can be built. But that is not what you are talking about here.

Statistics are marginally useful at best.  I think we are all saying some
version of that.  You are absolutely right, academics need to 'step outside
(y)our lives to where the neighborhood changes.'

Lisa