When we talk about science, we frequently talk about two different kinds of
order without adequately distinguishing between them. One kind of order has
to do with laws of causality, the other has to do with conscious intent.

If one lives at the edge of a cliff, it is consistent with the laws of
physics to throw one's garbage over the side -- the garbage will fall. But
that grave result doesn't take into account other possible or even likely
consequences, such as the effect of toxic waste on an eco-system below or on
people dwelling at the bottom of the cliff. Some or many of the consequences
of an action may be, practically speaking, unknowable. It would take so long
and so much energy to find out all the consequences that one would never be
able to act.

Because inaction itself may have consequences, the dilemma is unresolvable.
Therefore one forms intentions on the basis of experience and judgment, not
on the basis of a complete assessment of how the laws of causality apply to
a given situation. When I say "experience and judgment" I imply memory
because it is what we remember from our experience (whether consciously or
"subconsciously") that forms the basis of our judgment. If I forget that
there may be people living at the bottom of the cliff, it doesn't really
matter any more to my judgment that I once knew it.

Now, memory doesn't obey the laws of physics but it does obey the laws of
nature (I am speaking metaphorically when I use the terms "law", "physics"
and "nature", although I am not certain *how* metaphorical). It is possibly
that I may capriciously bring to mind only these or those physical laws when
forming an intention. If I claim that my action was "scientific" because it
scrupulously took into account the physical laws that I capriciously
remembered, there is something missing in my account. We might refer to the
missing element as humility.

Science without humility -- that is without a proper regard for the vagaries
of memory and intention -- is unscientific. The fact that the facts
emphasized are indeed facts trivializes the relationship between memory,
intention, action and causality.

Of course, it is entirely possible for people to form intentions that
completely disregard causal (or probabilistic) relationships. Otherwise who
would buy lottery tickets? Is it somehow "more scientific" to throw one's
garbage over the side of a cliff than to buy a lottery ticket because in the
former act one has taken into account at least *some* of the laws of
causality? How many laws and how much judgment and memory must come into
play to distinguish between the scientific and the unscientific? Where does
one "draw the line" between science and caprice?

Consciousness is qualitative. Analysis forms an important part of
consciousness, but consciousness cannot be reduced to analysis.

Tom Walker
604 255 4812