At 9:58 AM +0200 8/1/04, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
Jerry Gay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Leopold Toetch wrote:

 Both ways - or better three stages: Its optional. If its
 there, we *can* link against it. If you want/need it, and
 your OS doesn't have it, well, then install it.

 and if you don't want it you get... what?
 no unicode support?

Exactly. No ICU, no unicode.

No. That's just not an option.

Parrot must, and *will*, ship with full unicode support. You may choose to not build it, or you may choose to use a system unicode library (right now just ICU) instead of using what we ship with the source, but the option must be there, and therefore ICU will continue to stay in CVS as part of parrot. Period.

The alternative here is the same alternative as with GMP and big numbers--we can yank ICU *if* someone writes an alternate Unicode implementation for us.