On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 04:10:56AM -0700, Joshua Gatcomb wrote:

> WRT improving the ease of use of ICU.  My suggestion
> is that a representative from each platform that
> Parrot is currently being built on download the latest
> stable version of ICU source, build it, and note
> anything "special" they needed to do to get it
> working. Those things should make putting a newer
> version into CVS a realistic possibility.  I am
> volunteering for Cygwin (yeah I know - big surprise
> there).

OK. Solaris, Sun C compilers. Notionally a supported platform.

"/usr/include/sys/feature_tests.h", line 277: #error: "Compiler or options invalid for
pre-UNIX 03 X/Open applications  and pre-2001 POSIX applications"
cc: acomp failed for putil.c
make[1]: *** [putil.d] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/nick/Ponie/ponie-clean/icu/source/common'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 2

It's this one again. Solaris 10 seems too new for it. OK, Solaris 10 is in
beta but this is the same pain as before. I should report this to the
ICU people.

Note also that it will only build as is on this list of platforms for 3.0

The following names can be supplied as the argument for platform:

    AIX4.3xlC               Use IBM's xlC on AIX 4.3
    AIX4.3xlC_nothreads     Use IBM's xlC on AIX 4.3 with no multithreading
    AIX4.3VA                Use IBM's Visual Age xlC_r compiler on AIX 4.3
    AIXGCC                  Use GCC on AIX
    ALPHA/LINUXGCC          Use GCC on Alpha/Linux systems
    ALPHA/LINUXCCC          Use Compaq C compiler on Alpha/Linux systems
    BeOS                    Use the GNU C++ compiler on BeOS
    Cygwin                  Use the GNU C++ compiler on Cygwin
    Cygwin/MSVC             Use the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler on Cygwin
    FreeBSD                 Use the GNU C++ compiler on Free BSD
    HP-UX11ACC              Use the Advanced C++ compiler on HP-UX 11
    HP-UX11CC               Use HP's C++ compiler on HP-UX 11
    LinuxRedHat             Use the GNU C++ compiler on Linux
    LINUX/ECC               Use the Intel ECC compiler on Linux
    LINUX/ICC               Use the Intel ICC compiler on Linux
    MacOSX                  Use the GNU C++ compiler on MacOS X (Darwin)
    QNX                     Use QNX's QCC compiler on QNX/Neutrino
    SOLARISCC               Use Sun's CC compiler on Solaris
    SOLARISCC/W4.2          Use Sun's Workshop 4.2 CC compiler on Solaris
    SOLARISGCC              Use the GNU C++ compiler on Solaris
    SOLARISX86              Use Sun's CC compiler on Solaris x86
    TRU64V5.1/CXX           Use Compaq's cxx compiler on Tru64 (OSF)
    zOS                     Use IBM's cxx compiler on z/OS (os/390)
    zOSV1R2                 Use IBM's cxx compiler for z/OS 1.2
    OS390V2R10              Use IBM's cxx compiler for OS/390 2.10

ie I'm being forced to build LP64 on Solaris. I will now try to scrape enough
disk space on a friends Debian Sparc box to see what "LinuxRedHat" works
like there. I won't have time to try Linux on ARM until Friday (at least)
and I no longer have access to any other architectures running Debian.

It may make sense to work with ICU initially, and it does support some of
the more esoteric platforms that perl5 does (QNX, BeOS, EBCDIC mainframes)
but I don't even see Irix in their list of supported platforms, let alone
some of our more fun friends such as Unicos and NEC SuperUnix (or whatever
the pain is called. Nice hardware; evil Unix)

Heck, even OpenBSD isn't there.

We would have to work with them quite a lot to bring ICU to the level of
portability of Perl 5.

Nicholas Clark