At 02:37 PM 9/27/00 -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

>Seconded.  If I want a language where everything is an object, I know
>where to find it.  When I hack Perl, I want things to be optimized for
>those "90% text, 10% something else" problems that Perl so well fills.
>I don't want text to become an object.  I don't want numbers to become
>an object.  I don't want to create object regular expressions to call
>a method on text objects to return back a success object to test with
>the control structure object.  I want /foo/ && print while <> to work.

Hmmm, in reading the RFC, I see nothing to suggest that

   /foo/ && print while <>;

wouldn't continue to work.  It specifies "Everything becomes an object, out
of sight, but easy to reach", and states remaining Perlish and Perl5
compatibility as a goal.

I don't think the RFC is fully fleshed out, but I don't see it as being
inherently anti-perlish.