On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 09:31:59PM -0400, Bennett Todd wrote:
> How so? Seems to run straightforward comparable stuff a bit quicker
> than perl; doesn't seem to take any more effort to express a good
> many things.

This is becoming off topic; I have an interview with Matz regarding his
thoughts and warnings to the Perl 6 developers coming out soon, but I'm
waiting for it to be translated into English. However, if you'd look over on
perl-friends, you'd see things like:

From: Doug Bagley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I have done a couple different benchmarks, and I find it is generally
slower, but more like 1.5 to 3 times.  For instance, a simple real
world task like counting frequency of words in a file, I find the
runtime of the ruby program to be about 1.6 times that of perl, which
isn't too bad.  Here's my code if you want to see, it's possible I may
not have done the best implemenations.  I find the Python version *is*
about 4 times slower, it looks like Pythons dictionaries are slow.

--
I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights.  I hit the gas,
people behind me stop, and I'm gone.  -- Steven Wright