2000-09-27-17:37:07 Randal L. Schwartz:
> f I want a language where everything is an object, I know
> where to find it.

If the only excuse for tossing this is some kind of gut revulsion
towards objects, I sure hope the RFC doesn't get withdrawn, and the
folks with that revulsion take some tummy medicine and get a grip.

> When I hack Perl, I want things to be optimized for those "90%
> text, 10% something else" problems that Perl so well fills.

I didn't see anything in the proposal that was contrary to that.

> I don't want text to become an object.  I don't want numbers to become
> an object.  I don't want to create object regular expressions to call
> a method on text objects to return back a success object to test with
> the control structure object.

Why not? Why not? Why not?

> I want /foo/ && print while <> to work.

I think the proposal was that they still should; that the object
machinery would be there when it was useful but not in your face if
you didn't need it. Seems quite reasonable to me.

-Bennett

PGP signature