From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Molly Gleeson
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:58 PM
To: pestlist@museumpests.net
Subject: [pestlist] question about freezing

I just started working for a museum that has an active webbing clothes moth infestation in their textile storage room.  Half of the textiles have been packed, sealed in plastic, and are in a freezer that is set at 0 F (-17 C).  We are in the process of packing the other half in preparation to move them into the freezer as well.  I would like them to be frozen in a freezer set to at least -20 C, however, the freezer company quoted exhorbitant fees for lowering the temperature of the freezer, even for only a few days.  I'm concerned that -17 C isn't cold enough to ensure that the moths are killed, even if we keep them in the freezer for several weeks.  Is this true?

I'm also thinking that we should do a second freeze, to ensure that all life stages are killed, but if the temperature is not low enough, then maybe this is pointless.  I plan to do a test by putting a bag of live moths/larvae into the freezer along with the objects, to monitor what's happening, but does anyone have any experience with this, or have any suggestions about adjusting the temperature and also about the recommended length of time to freeze at -17C to ensure mortality of the moths?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Molly Gleeson

Conservator

San Diego Museum of Man