Mary, A very practical method to record the core temperature! Just want to add: be sure that air can circulate in the freezer.
Jan-Erik Bergh
PRE-MAL www.nrm.se/premal

At 18:36 2008-10-16, you wrote:
Greetings -

Data loggers are precise and record many data points, but some folks can't afford them.

The least expensive thermometer set up I know of that is useful in monitoring the freezing of library materials is an indoor outdoor thermometer that I got at "Radio Shack" (electronics chain store).

$20, stock number 6301032, "indoor/outdoor" thermometer, temperature range -58F to +158F. Uses one AAA battery. The temperature probe is about 1" long and 1/4" in diameter and is on the end of a thin cord that is 10 ft. long. This model stores high and low temp readings and also monitors relative humidity.

The four older Radio Shack/Micronta units I have used for several years don't have the data recording and rH features, so I can't comment on how these new features work.

I use one of my thermometers with an old phone book (3 inches thick). I carved a channel into the middle of the phone book for the probe and the cord, and put the phone book in a plastic bag.

The cord is not too thick to keep the door of our freezer from closing properly. However, a freezer repair person drilled a hole through the freezer door that is large enough to place the probe inside the freezer, and sealed the hole with silicone caulk, so now the probe is permanently installed in the freezer.

This set up gives a "ball park" idea of the core temperature of the materials I am freezing. I check the thermometer after 4 hours to see if the core temperature has reached -20 Centigrade ( = -4 F). The old rule of thumb for killing bugs is that the bugs should be at ambient - comfortable for them- temperature right before they are placed in the freezer. The core temperature of materials in the freezer should reach -20 Centigrade within 4 hours so that the bugs don't acclimate to the cold and survive the freezing.  Freeze for 72 hours and thaw over 24 hours.

It is also useful to know the core temperature before materials are removed from the freezer. If they are completely thawed, no condensation should form on the materials when they are removed from the freezer.

One comment about freezing textiles: there may be buttons made of bone or plastic, or other parts  that could be damaged by freezing.

Mary Baughman
Book Conservator
Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center
The University of Texas at Austin
P.O.Drawer 7219
Austin, Texas  78713-7219

Telephone (512) 471-8635 or 471-9117
Fax (512) 471-7930

What kind of thermometer are you all using and where can they be purchased?  How often do you monitor the temperature?

Thank you

Kate Wellspring

Kate Wellspring
Collections Manager
Amherst College Museum of Natural History
Amherst, MA 01002
(413) 542-2165
www.amherst.edu/museumofnaturalhistory