Last year I bought what was represented to be a collection of high end needle
tins from a guy in Germany. He had run several previous auctions with some
pretty rare tins, so when I saw a new listing for a collection, I bid 200 euros
on it as a proxy bid. Someone kept bumping it up until it reached my maximum
bid, but I won the auction. When I received the tins, I found that they were
mostly fakes - other tins with decals or stickers applied to them. Also, he
just dumped them all in an envelope and mailed them without any real care. I
wrote him about the fakes and he said that if I read his long description, I
would see that he said "keine originale" somewhere in the ramblings. Keine in
German means "not", which I learned. I looked up his previous listings and read
the descriptions and nowhere did I see "keine" and coincidentally these
auctions were all won by the same guy who bumped up my bid on the fakes. I
wrote eBay about it and expected nothing. Since I used PayPal, howev
 er, eBay ruled in my favor and refunded my money. Now he's back with a new
listing, but apparently the refund and eBay's decision has made him somewhat
more honest. Now he's selling fake tins in an original box, but the description
says "not original" in several languages and in large print in the title, so
maybe it worked on him...
New listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150532842241&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123