On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 17:14:19 -0800
wes <p...@the-wes.com> dijo:

>On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 12:49 PM John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Apparently Xubuntu is supposed to be using seahorse, but it's not
>> installed on my Lenovo laptop with 20.04.2 nor on my new Latitude
>> with 21.10. I tried the link, but again it says to use seahorse. I
>> can install seahorse, but must be something else that is causing the
>> problems.

>now that you mention it, this triggers my memory. I have always had to
>install seahorse to solve this problem.
>
>I don't think changing your user account's password will help. you
>need to change the keyring password (which is frequently the same as
>the login password for convenience, but is not necessarily). this is
>what seahorse allows you to do

Over the weekend I poked at a lot of things, without luck So this
morning I installed seahorse, and seahorse-daemon. Not sure id the
daemon was required, but I did it anyway. I did this from the command
line, and I got a lot of errors, mostly missing packages. I launched
Synaptic and did a Reload, which also produced a lot of errors. Back to
the command line I entered ifconfig, which produced more strange
results.

Note that this new Latitude has wifi, but no built-in ethernet port,
although I have a USB 3.0 'dock' plugged in that provides an ethernet
port. To use it I have to run a cable from another room, and to avoid
having a wire to trip over I have always used just the wifi with the
Latitude. When I ran ifconfig it gave me enx+long-number which was the
ethernet, and no IP address for it, and it gave me virbr0 with an
address of 192.168.122.1. This has to be the wifi, but where did the
122 come from? My network is192.168.1.x. Well, at least it explains why
apt couldn't download anything. While waiting for my brain to come up
with an explanation for the 122 I plugged in an ethernet cable, and
then I was able to connect, and apt properly installed seahorse and
seahorse-daemon.

At this point I was finally able to launch seahorse. I explored it a
bit, but couldn't figure out how to use it. One of the buttons that I
clicked on displayed 'Keyring Locked.' I could probably have unlocked
it, but I left it for now because I want it to be unlocked at login,
but that option must be buried someplace that I didn't look at.

Using the Latitude I logged into the D-Link DIR860L B1 and noted that
there is a connection at 192.168.1.171 marked 'Latitude,' that must be
the ethernet. Of course, 192.168.122.1 did not appear.

So now I have two questions:

1) How to use Seahorse to get rid of the keyring hassle.
2) What the heck happened to make the wifi on the Latitude think that
    its network was 192.168.122.x?

I could use some suggestions.