On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 4:57 PM John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com> wrote:

> >virbr0 is for virtualization software. virtualbox, vmware, etc. that's
> >where the 122 comes from.
>
> That's interesting. Of course, I spent hours yesterday fiddling with
> VirtualBox, and finally got it working. But since last night it
> has been shut down. And just to be sure there are no virtual machines
> still running, just now I rebooted, but ifconfig still shows virbr0,
> with the same funny IP address. Is it possible that VirtualBox running
> Windows 10 (the only machine that I ran) created this 'device' for the
> machine? And if it did, when I shut down Windows 10 and VirtualBox, why
> didn't it delete it? I might add that it doesn't appear on my other two
> computers.

it's not related to the guest OS, or to whether virtualbox is currently
running. the interface is created when you install virtualbox and remains
available for use as needed.

> I also tried to run network-manager, which Synaptic says is installed,
> but evidently it never occurred to the writers of the documentation to
> tell users HOW TO LAUNCH IT! I tried nm, network-manager,
> network-manager-applet (with and without dashes), and numerous others,
> all of which return 'no such file.'

as I recall, it uses capital letters in the executable name. try typing Net
and then press tab a few times to see if anything autocompletes.

> Meantime, I can ping 192.168.122.1, although the ping command just says
> that it connected and the time it took for the response. And I tried to
> connect to it by putting it in the URL bar in Chromium, but got
> 'refused to connect.'

192.168.122.1 is an address on your local machine. it won't help you with
any of these issues.

>> At this point I was finally able to launch seahorse. I explored it a
> >> bit, but couldn't figure out how to use it. One of the buttons that I
> >> clicked on displayed 'Keyring Locked.' I could probably have unlocked
> >> it, but I left it for now because I want it to be unlocked at login,
> >> but that option must be buried someplace that I didn't look at.
>
> >there isn't a specific option to have the keyring unlocked by default.
> >you have to implicitly do this by unlocking the keyring, and then
> >setting the password to empty.
>
> I click on Unlock Login Keyring and it just asks for my password. If I
> enter it all it does is unlock the keyring; there is no option to set
> the password to empty, although there is an option 'Unlock this keyring
> when I'm logged in.' But the checkbox has always been selected, yet it
> still asks me repeatedly to unlock the keyring.

if you right-click on the keyring, do you get any options around setting a
password?

-wes