I couldn't get to the bottom of it so disabled all plugins then
re-enabled them one-by-one. It turns out there's a problem is with Smart
Mix. When it's enabled, it just seems to run without beings asked to: ie
no Smart Mix option has been selected.

Do you have the "don't stop the music" option enabled? This would automatically start SmartMix whenever you "risk" to run out of tracks in your playlist. Turn it off and see whether this fixes your issues.

At the moment I run LMS (7.8 latest nightly Windows build) with Smart
Mix disabled so that I can use SugarCube. It's a shame because I like
and use Smart Mix on occasion. Have tried clearing cache and doing a
full rescan but no difference

Maybe I should figure out a way to know whether SugarCube is active or not, to prevent SmartMix being triggered. I already do this for RandomPlay.

--

Michael