On Nov 5, 7:15 am, daniel <daniel...@orange.fr> wrote:
> No criticism at all, although it would be nice getting the relevant
> user's benefits of the change. The complexity I talked about as well
> the allergy to zope is a personal perception I would wish expressing
> here (perhaps I'm the only one feeling that, then just don't care
> about it)

I'm sorry you feel that way.  The Zope brand has certainly taken its
share of
lumps over the years, and has a reputation for being insular and
mysterious.
But the word "Zope" is meaningless without qualification.  What *part*
of Zope
do you hate?  "Zope" is a brand, not a technology.

If it's Zope2-the-web-framework, Pyramid is not that.  The primary
designers
and developers of Pyramid, if anyone, should know.  We wrote Pyramid's
predecessor (repoze.bfg), in part, because *we* knew that Zope 2 had
usability issues and limitations.  repoze.bfg (and now Pyramid)
was written to address these issues.

If it's Zope3-the-web-framework, Pyramid is *definitely* not that.
Making
use of lots of Zope 3 technologies is territory already staked out by
the
Grok project.  Save for the obvious fact that they're both web
frameworks, Pyramid is very, very different than Grok.  Grok exposes
lots of Zope technologies to end users.  On the other hand, if you
need to
understand a Zope-only concept while using Pyramid, then we've failed
on some
very basic axis.

If it's just the word Zope: it's, charitably, only guilt by
association.  You
need to understand that just because a piece of software internally
uses some
package named ``zope.foo``, it doesn't turn the piece of software that
uses
it into "Zope".  There is a lot of *great* software written that has
the word
Zope in its name.  Zope is not some sort of monolithic thing, and a
lot of
its software is usable externally.

It's not really my job to defend Zope.  But Zope has been
around for over 10 years and has an incredibly large, active
community.  If
you don't believe this, http://taichino.appspot.com/pypi_ranking/authors
is
an eye-opening reality check.

> Complexity is measured to my way of thinking from a user perspective,
> not necessarly from a framework code number of lines developer point
> of view

It's pretty hard to defend Pyramid against charges that won't be
disclosed.

- C