Tony Firshman wrote:

> >>There is no requirement to certify for "Brussels".
> >>Self-certification is fine, for CE specifically.
> >Was the rumour around at the time, emissions compliance.
> Sorry - do not understand the question.
>
> What rumours?
> Self-certification for CE is build into the rules.
>
> Nothing says that you have to pay for expensive lab work.

It's a little bit more complicated than that :-)

1) It's illegal to sell a product in the EU without a CE mark.

2) By attaching a CE mark, the manufacturer/importer is stating that
the product meets the requirements of _all_ relevant EU directives.

3) Some directives (e.g. EMC) allow one to self-certify; others (e.g.
CPD - Construction Products Directive - which includes things like
fire alarm systems) do not.

4) Whether or not you self-certify, you have to (in theory, at least)
be able to substantiate your claim(s) of compliance. This is obviously
easier if you can produce a test report by a recognised test house.

5) Falsely claiming compliance (by attaching a CE mark) is, in the UK
at least, a criminal offence.

This may not be the only reason why Stuart (sic) stopped trading but,
from conversations I had with him at the time, I am sure it was a
contributory factor...

John