----- Original Message ----- From: "Timothy Swenson"
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2004 3:37 AM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] good superbasic book ?

It was my impression that when Quanta last printed the book, they owned the rights. My copy was printed in 1989 and it says quite clearly:

    "Copyright 1989 Quanta"

So, either Quanta does own the rights, or the book I have is wrong.

Either way, I think it would be nice to see it published electronically. If Jan Jones does own the rights, maybe Quanta could approach her and ask her if she is willing to allow it to be freely distributed.

I have written to my fellow Quanta committee members raising this issue and to see if they know more about the background to the legal status of the book.

I think we should all remain practical. Like John Taylor I would doubt that a new edition would be practicable. Is Quanta is the right body to publish since it would legally only be able to sell copies to Quanta members?

Equally we should be realistic about electronic publication. My copy is an original MgGraw-Hill copy and has 257 pages. That would be a huge scanning job and an even worse PDF conversion job. Given that there could well be several second hand copies floating around, is it really worth the investment of someone's time and energy?

Best Wishes,
Geoff