Phoebus Dokos wrote:

ÎÎÎ Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:59:51 +0000,Î(Î) Steven Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ÎÎÏÎÏÎ/wrote:

Hello folks,

Why not ask the author to relinquish copyright and allow it to be posted, maybe in pdf format. Jan Jones could not have been earning much royalties from this book recently and future sales will be negligible. I am a great believer in people releasing software and literature from copyright after they have stopped supporting the software or re-printing copies of the book.

Steven Moore

That is a nice idea if she agrees... However noone can force anybody to relinquish their copyright... Especially if there's still interest in their book. I do not see why an on-demand reprint scheme would be problematic... moreover the book will actually be cheaper and the author will get more royalties (And Quanta won't have to bother with other details other than uploading a PDF file)

Does she have to relinquish copyright at all? All she has to do is to permit (via a licence of some kind) its publication (eg the GPL doesn't remove the authors' copyrights; it just allows for distribution - more than copyright in itself does).