Dilwyn,

>> As you say, the machine hasn't been used for several weeks, I just
>> fired it up tonight to test a new program on the games page on my
>> website (X-Words from David Denham) on a JM ROM.

I was once taught by an IBM engineer that some drives get 'sticky' when
unused for a while. The cure is to raise the disc housing up about 2" off
the desk and then drop it - all with the power off.

If this fails to work, you have to raise it up, power on and drop it just
before it begins to spin. Hmmm.

Maybe this is what you need to do? Alternatively, you mentioned a spare
2.5" drive - I assume your stuck drive is the same? Whip it out and put it
into a laptop (or a desktop with a 2.5" to IDE convertor) and see if it
spins up there. You will probably get a 'system disc not found' error - but
 you should be able to see/hear if it is spinning up or not.

Might help, maybe not!

Cheers,
Norman.