Malcolm Cadman wrote:
> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dilwyn Jones
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>
>> Quite correct (ahem) I'd forgotten the romdisq was there :-(
>
> OK ... I am glad that you found the source ... :-)
>
>> The hard disk is dead though. It won't reformat via the qubide, though
>> I haven't tried installign it elsewhere yet. I haven't tried Norman's
>> suggestion of dropping it though.... will no doubt resurface to report
>> on that one soon!
>
> With the hard drive installed a light tap - reasonable force, though not
> as drastic as dropping it - on the drive can work to "unstick" the head.
>
> There seems to be an electro-magnetic "sticking point" that develops on
> some hard drives over time.
>
> I have one such drive on an old WIN95 machine.
>
> Also, try it on another computer machine if you can.
>
> Or use one of those external IDE connectors to a PC.
>
> Sometimes, just the process of taking out the IDE connector and the
> power cable; and then reattaching can have an effect.
>
> ( Just check that the IDE connector is the right way, if it not keyed ).
>
> If you do get it working, you can then recover the stored information to
> another device.
>
> Once the data is not precious, you can then go on to either using it
> with caution, or try reformatting and reinstalling software.

Also check warranty. Seagate for instance have 5 and sometimes 7 year
warranty on direct sold Seagate and Maxtor drives.  Western Digital also
have warranties.  I have had maybe 15 drives replaced (for Worldnews) in
the last 6 years.  You can check online via the serial number.

Tony

--
QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:257/67) +44(0)1442-828255
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://firshman.co.uk