In message <4c1e6efb.2070...@dunbar-it.co.uk>, Norman Dunbar <nor...@dunbar-it.co.uk> writes

On 19/06/10 20:00, P Witte wrote:
But surely you see that it could spell then end of the Personal
Computer, in which case the "next great thing" becomes significant and
not merely a fad.
They said that COBOL was dead. it lives on many many years after it's
alleged demise. The reaosn being, there are still far too many apps
written in COBOL to be rewritten in "TNGT" (The Next Great Thing). COBOL
is still with us, 10 years after the Y2K "problem".

Think about how many laptops, desktops and so on there are, even tablets
and netbooks.

Hi Norman,

Yet COBOL is not the next great thing ... :-)

Rather, an old thing.

As you say laptops have succeeded desktops, and netbooks have succeeded laptops.

So, iPad like devices will succeed all of the above, and we will all be using them as they get more capable.

Anyway, I still awaiting your dream ideas for the QL21 ... :-)

--
Malcolm Cadman