On Monday 29 Nov 2010 19:28:46 Bryan Horstmann wrote:
> I see that we're running QL under VMware.  Kubuntu was put on my laptop as
> an example of how VM works, but I don't know the process.  Can someone
> kindly enlighten me on on the detail procedure to install the QL (or any
> other program for that matter) to run under VMware.

The easiest method would be to run the uQLx emulator in the Kubuntu.
The second method would be to run QPCII in Kubuntu using Wine.

Both emulators work here.

There is also QLAY for Linux at http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/A.Jaw.Venema/

The uQLX version that I am using can be found at
http://www.speccy.org/sinclairql/utilidades/uqlx-es-2008.01.tar.bz2

In a Linux you will need to unpack this with tar -jxvf qlx-es-2008.01.tar.bz2

There is a readme file called léame.txt which tells you to copy the uqlx.rc
file
up a level and rename it.

Once Wine reached version 1, QPCII installed and ran first time.

The only drawback up to now is trying to get a USB connected floppy to read QL
disks.

Re-reading your question - are you after running something under VMware or
running something in your Kubuntu Virtual Machine?

The first case you need to create a virtual machine. The easiest way is
probably to start with a ready made image (http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/ or
http://www.vmware.com). Assuming you want to make your own then each VMware
version has a tool for this except Player. If you are using VMware Player then
http://www.easyvmx.com/ will help you create the initial file.

If you are after installing something under Kubuntu then you should have a
System tool called KPackageKit (or older versions had KSynaptic).
This is a graphical front-end that will let you chose thousands of programs.

Let us assume you wanted to install the old out of date forth programming
language yforth (just because we can). Under the KPackageKit you can search
for forth as a description and the yforth will be listed (If it is not you
might want to look at the repositories that your Kubuntu is pointing at).
Left click on the grey arrow at the right of the package name and it changes
to an almost unchanged grey blue to indicate you have chosen to install. Chose
the apply button at the bottom and it should install the package for you.

An alternative is to use the command line. Open up a console and type in the
three commands

sudo apt-get update
apt-cache search forth
sudo apt-get install yforth

The first line just refreshes the apt-cache list of packages available
The second line lists all the package names that have forth in them
The third line is the one that actually installs the package.

There are many, many ways to install programs under Linux and everyone has
their favourite.

Just for fun I have just installed the DOSBox emulator under Linux, then QLAY
for DOS (http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/A.Jaw.Venema/qlay090.zip) works fine as
well. For that I installed DOSBox, downloaded the QLAY090 for DOS.
Unzipped the QLAY file. Started DOSBox (/usr/bin/dosbox).
Mounted the unzipped files (mount c ~/Downloads/QLAY090)
typed in QLAY.exe and then F1. Speed is a little out as the supplied ft_bas
gives me 37 seconds for the 60 second test, but it does run.

Regards
John