On 06/06/2011 10:07, Dilwyn Jones wrote:
SIMON BALDERSON wrote:
Did anyone see this report this morning on "Click"? Looks like it
runs Linux and is designed to be very cheap and aimed at teaching
children to program. It'd be great if it came bundled with
SBASIC/SMSQ/E.

The designer has previously worked on the ZX Spectrum amongst other
early 80's computers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/default.stm
Very interesting! The proposed cost makes it very attractive in itself, of course.

Porting Minerva or a QL emulator to it would open up a whole new range of possibilities for us.

It seems to be aimed slap bang at where we want to go - a cheap little home computer flexible and open enough for writing programs and running retro games. A cheap new QL, but probably flexible enough that you could implement all sorts of things on it.

While it seems to be using Linux at the moment, it would be great if some of our hardware experts could take a look at the practicalities of using it for our own ends.

Surely uQLX could be run under Ubuntu if there is memory space, or "on a stick" as SD card or in a USB hub. I think that the iceweasel loaded is a browser like Firefox and Python seems to be a high level programming language for producing applications.

Bryan H