Hi Tim,

> Instead of Linux Mint, I went with Lubuntu (Ubuntu light).  I first
> installed Linux on an older Lenovo with 512MB of memory.  Linux Mint
> would hardly start, but Lubuntu worked great.

I borrowed my wife's old Dell Inspiring laptop and put Mint 17 32 bit on it.
With Cinnamon desktop it was quite slow,  so I switched over to LXDE and it
runs like a dream now.

I mainly use it for PCB design using Kicad and/or Fritzing.

That's one laptop nicely recycled!  Plus it boots up in  a couple of minutes
whereas XP eventually needed bout 10 minutes to boot. That used to drive her
mad.

Cheers,
Norm.