----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Taffel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> You have said that Quanta is heading towards a £1000 a year structural
> profit. I am also  interested in how much Quanta has in realisable assets.
> The reason I ask, is that as has been pointed out, the pond is now a
puddle
> and rapidly drying out. What good are those assets while they aren't being
> used to good effect?
>
>  I suggest that Quanta decides to work on the basis that it is going to
die
> in N years anyway, and plans to liquidate its assets by investment in good
> projects over that time. This could breathe new life into both the QL, and
> into Quanta, and actually ensure that it keeps going for longer than if it
> just keeps its assets in the bank.  I for one would rejoin if I thought
they
> would actually do something useful with my subscriptions.
>
> £1000 would actually only pay for one week's work for a  programmer in my
> industry.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but there are still good grounds
for keeping the capital reasonably intact. The capital is currently £16,000,
which on your figures is only 16 week's work. You won't get any decent
hardware or software from just 16 week's work. That means finding projects
that will bring some returns, no easy task.

At the moment Quanta is failing its members and the QL community and has to
find a better way of using both its income and capital than it is doing now.
If it cannot do this within the next 12 months then a motion at the 2005 AGM
to wind up Quanta would be the best solution.

Geoff

  • ... Jérôme Grimbert
    • ... Tarquin Mills
      • ... SMSQ - Jochen Merz