Printers are not the only thing I want to attach to the parallel port, e.g
DAC, Webcam, Par<->USB etc. Par is one of the fastest ports on the Q60,
faster that USB version 1.

Well, all adapters *I* have seen so far are USB -> PAR. PAR -> USB or bi-directional just don't work. And even USB -> PAR does not work properly, as all the control signals which exist on the parallel port (paper empty, offline etc.) need to be converted "somehow" and interpreted on the USB driver's side. But they aren't, not even under Windows. I had to go back from USB -> PAR to a direct LPT port on the mainboard (with a very long cable) because the converter did not work properly. Once the printer was off-line, the USB screwed up and the printer would never work again unless you reset the whole machine. I think that these converters just convert all USB data to the Parallel port (plain output), and that's it-

I doubt VERY VERY much that you will be able to connect USB
cams, scanners etc. to a parallel port, let alone get anything
sensible out of them.

A retro printer would be something to sell at meetings.

... do you really think that it is feasible to sell them in "quantities" of 3 or 5 or produce (very optimistic guess) 1000 at a reasonable price? My feeling is that, even if you approach a printer manufacturer and ask them about 100,000 items, they will laugh at you and tell you to go away.

Some things would be NICE to have, but when reality comes into
play, you have to USE what exists and try to make the best out
of it - somehow.

Jochen
  • ... RWAPSoftware
    • ... SMSQ - Jochen Merz