I think people are aware that funding may bring more regulation. Judges tend to
defer to government conditions attached to money, even though some of those
conditions raise serious questions of unconstitutional conditions.

The fear has lost much of its force in part because of Smith and the
underenforcement or nonenforcement of state RFRAs. If these institutions are
going to be regulated anyway, they have less to lose by taking the money. And
if you look at the history of evangelical schools, where many of these claims
are coming from, first they fought out the regulatory issues, in mostly
unsuccessful litigation and in state legislatures and before state boards of
education. Only after most of those issues were resolved one way or the other
did they begin to push for equal access to government money.

I’m less certain about this second point, but I think that many of them feel
that the risk of extra conditions attached to money is smaller than the risk of
fighting a culture war where the other side is government funded.

Douglas Laycock
Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law
University of Virginia Law School
580 Massie Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903
434-243-8546