So is it correct to conclude that the struggle over LGBT rights explains
100% of any change in public attitudes -- left and right-- about funding
and regulation of houses of worship? If not, what else explains the change?
The end of the fight between Protestants and Catholics about public funding
of religious schools?
On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 6:24 PM Laycock, H Douglas (hdl5c) <
hd...@virginia.edu> wrote:

> I think people are aware that funding may bring more regulation. Judges
> tend to defer to government conditions attached to money, even though some
> of those conditions raise serious questions of unconstitutional conditions.
>

> The fear has lost much of its force in part because of *Smith* and the
> underenforcement or nonenforcement of state RFRAs. If these institutions
> are going to be regulated anyway, they have less to lose by taking the
> money. And if you look at the history of evangelical schools, where many of
> these claims are coming from, first they fought out the regulatory issues,
> in mostly unsuccessful litigation and in state legislatures and before
> state boards of education. Only after most of those issues were resolved
> one way or the other did they begin to push for equal access to government
> money.
>

> I’m less certain about this second point, but I think that many of them
> feel that the risk of extra conditions attached to money is smaller than
> the risk of fighting a culture war where the other side is government
> funded.
>

> Douglas Laycock
>
> Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law
>
> University of Virginia Law School
>
> 580 Massie Road
>
> Charlottesville, VA 22903
>
> 434-243-8546

Sent from Gmail Mobile
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law
George Washington University