-----Original Message-----
From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jesse Lloyd
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 12:48 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Duplexers

The length of coax doesn't effect impedance.  Trimming the coax effects what
is read on the VSWR meter because what is actually happening is that there
is an interference pattern created when you have a mismatch on the end of
feedline.  This pattern is sinusoidal and changes in voltage and current
along the line, in 1/2 wave periods.  You will find max voltage peaks and
min voltage peaks.  Also current will go up and down too.  When you are
using a VSWR meter you are measuring voltage, if you move the meter to a
different spot on the cable, the voltage is different, therefor it gives you
a different reading.

Now if you put a voltage null at your transmitter, what would happen?
Normally with high SWR your transmitter will get hot because its dissipating
the reflected power into its heatsink.  If you put it at a voltage null, I
would suspect that the SWR would not get dissipated by the transmitter as
much as if you put it at a voltage peak.  The standing waves are still
there, there is still a mismatch, you will get the same power out, but its
just not going to hurt your transmitter as much because of the heat.

The only time coax length makes a difference to power out is if your using
it in a matching stub, or a matching section ie. if you take 1/4 wave of 75
ohm cable put it on the end of 50 ohm cable you will get a match with a
112.5 ohm load.

You make an interesting point though, why does the cabling of duplexer's
need to be a certain length.  I would suspect that its because they are
looped and make an inductor. This then is part of the LC filtering, and
changing the length effects L.  But I could be wrong on that.

Jesse

On 8/27/07, R. K. Brumback <HYPERLINK