Ok...

What I want to know is what processes are shut down when I say "Shut
Down" and it goes to the Retrospect shutdown dialog?

I mean, does it close all applications?

Does it kill any of the extension processes like clocks, screen savers, etc.?

Will it kill the Energy Saver process?  I mean, if the machine is set
to shut down in the Energy Control panel at, say 10pm, and the backup
starts up just before that, will it prevent the shutdown?

If the machine is set to startup at a certain time, but it never shut
off and still has the Retrospect shutdown dialog, will it do anything
at all?

Matt