I'm going to try and respond to all the e-mails so far:

1)  this particular mac does not have multiple users, although it does
have location manager set. I have seen this on users with multiple users
turned on. It has happened on laptops and on G4's and G3's. I  have seen
it with users that just have multiple users. I have seen it with users
that just have location manager. At the moment, those are the only "weird"
things.

2) these systems are as normal as any of my other systems.

3) Okey Dokey is not running on any of them.

4) the problem with the theory that a user was clicking defer is that:
        a) the defers have happened at night
        b) the defers have happened during the day on this particular
           machine because it is a laptop and the user takes it home (i
           have other laptops that are setup the same without seeing
           this).
        c) it happens EVERY 4 MINUTES for HOURS - my  users would have
           called and complained after 10 minutes, let alone after hours.
           Also it seems weird that it happens exactly every 4 minutes.
           There is no variance.

Any other thoughts?

Dantz?

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I also have this happen a lot on macs with multiple users running.  In
> fact one backup script starts at 3:00am and goes until 9:00am.  I get
> "user deferred" messages repeatedly on at least one mac/night.  The macs
> are auto-logged-off at 3:00am and there's no way anyone could be deferring
> the backup (I hope!).
>
> This problem normally doesn't repeat itself 2 nights in a row.  But I'm
> not sure why.  Maybe they get restarted?  Anyway, removing multiple users
> is not an option for these macs.
>
> Mark Maytum
> Pompanoosuc Mills Corporation
>

> matt barkdull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Sent by: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> 02/22/01 07:24 PM
> Please respond to "retro-talk"
>

>         To:     "retro-talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>         cc:
>         Subject:        Re: user deferred?
>
> I've seen this happen with MacOS 9 and Multiple users installed and
> running.
>
> I removed Multiple users from all the Macs I use and it now works fine.
>
> Perhaps Dantz has a better solution though?
>

> >I was just looking through my log file and I notice that there are a lot
> >of entries for a user that say that the user was deferred every
> >4 minutes yesterday from 9:48am to 4:48 pm.
> >
> >I have seen this before with different users.
> >
> >Does anyone know why this happens? What is going on?
> >
> >thanks.
>

> --
>
> For urgent issues, please contact Dantz technical support directly at
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] or 925.253.3050.

-- "I tried, but it didn't work" is a lot better than "I wish I'd tried."

        Gary R. Bernstein                       System Services Director
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 Krannert Center for Perf. Arts
        217-333-8297               College of Fine & Applied Arts - UIUC