It has been asked quite a bit about which backup medium is the best.

Well, there are really two questions you need to ask yourself:

1.  How much time do you have to backup everyone you need to?

2.  How much data is being backed up?

Ok, so a couple more questions can also be asked...

3.  How much of your time are you willing to put into "babysitting" the backup?

4.  How much money do you have?

When I first started doing backups for an entire department of 30
Macs, we had about 1.4 GB of data to backup over the Localtalk
network to a 2GB DAT drive on a MacSE.
Start the full backup on Friday night and it would take until Sunday
afternoon to finish. (~36 hours)

Just before I left that department, we were backing up 70 Macs, that
had roughly 40 GB of data and starting the full backup on Friday
night and it would finish Sunday afternoon. (~36 hours)

Now, the department that I backup is much smaller, 8 Macs, 3 windows
and they contain about 28GB of data and I start the full backup on
Friday night and it completes it in about 5 hours.

The biggest key about this is that I do have a lot less problems
because the time frame the network can cause a problem is shorter.  A
lot of other factors weigh in as well.  The network was upgraded from
LocalTalk (230k/sec) to Switched 10/100 and all of the machines I
backup are 100BaseT.  The tape drive went from a 2GB DAT drive to a
DAT changer and then to a DLT.

Anyway, before asking which drive to get, or how you should do your
backups.  Answer the first two questions first, then answer the
second two.