Try Chapter 2 of the Retrospect Manual: Fundamentals.  Best trick with
Retrospect is not to make any assumptions about it - if you think that you're
being smart and getting around a traditional backup/retore problem, don't
bother 'cause retrospect has probably already taken that into account for you :)

The only instances where you will need to track things a little differently is
if (as others have mentioned) you have massive database files that change on a
regular basis.  Don't forget that by doing full backups, you are losing the
versioning capability so if you save a file with mistakes and you're doing full
backups you've lost the older versions.

I used to have some literature that I'd written out for explaining
incrementalPlus somewhere - have to go dig that out of the archives...

Cheers,

Erik