At 9:21 AM -0800 3/8/01, Craig Gaevert wrote:

>And after having lost drives (this has
>happened 2 times) within days of having no backup I will not
>tolerate more than 1 day
>w/o a complete backup. I gave up and went to a single script that
>uses a different tape
>each day, completely replacing the contents, along with a monthly
>archive backup.  Now
>this was about two years ago. And yes, I too, have several large FMP
>files that need
>backup.

I am probably in the minority here with my situation, but I feel I
just have to speak up. Apologies in advance if I offend anyone.

Here at my workplace, we have a standard configuration that we
implement. Sure, there are a number of folk (mostly our publications
staff) that deviate from the standard, but not enough that we need
more than one image that includes all the applications on a typical
user's box.

I create an image of the drive and using Apple Software Restore, I
can replace a user's drive, should it crash, in about 10 minutes.
Then it's just a matter of replacing the user's Documents folder and
bookmark files, which are backed up nightly using incrementals.

All in all, it takes me about a half-hour to completely restore a
user after a crash, more if I have to re-install other applications
(such as Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. that our Pubs folk use).

Every one of our users is told when they start, and they get frequent
reminders, that nothing not in the Documents folder (save their
bookmarks) gets backed up. We keep the Documents folder on the
desktop so they can get to it easily, and remind them to make aliases
instead of putting files/folders on the desktop.

Our servers do not follow this regimen, though they probably should.
Maybe when I do the next upgrade...have a basic OS for the image, and
the apps can be re-installed fairly easily, or have OS & apps each in
their own image.

Do most people who use Retrospect not have a standard config that
they can rebuild from, in case of a crash? I know you can also use
Retrospect in this regard, but I personally find it easier using ASR.
If we were using Windows machines, I'd buy a copy of Ghost and do the
same thing.

Or do most of you back up the whole drive each night, because each
drive is different and there are no standards? Or something else?

I'm just curious, I guess, and puzzled. Of course, my Windows box at
home doesn't have a standard config nor does it get backed up
(yipe!), but I'm planning on backing everything up this weekend and
starting over from scratch anyway. And maybe I can put backup
software on the Christmas list this year. :)

--
Julia Frizzell