Well, comments first, solution second.

Comments
I personally use full backup on weekends and incrementals through a week.

If you are dealing with single large files that change daily, then an
incremental would do wonderful.  (Yep, I too have a Filemaker
database that is very large).

The idea behind an incremental backup is that it will only backup the
files that change.  When it does so, it creates a NEW COPY of that
file on the tape.  You can do searches for previous versions on the
same backup set.

In my backup, On the weekend it backs up the entire database.  On
Monday the database changes, Monday night it backs up the entire
database again...and so on through the week.

If I discover that on Tuesday, the database got corrupted, but the
corrupted database was backed up on Monday night, I simple tell
Retrospect to look for previous versions of that file and wallah, it
finds both the weekend version and the monday night version and I
tell it to restore the weekend version.

I've used that several times to "revert to saved" after too many
modifications were done while developing software.  Nice little
feature of Retrospect.

Possible solution if you don't like the idea.
Now, if you'd rather just do a full backup every night to a different
tape, I would suggest you create several backup scripts that would
write to the tape you want it too.  I've never tried it, but it seems
like the obvious solution.

For example.  You could set up scripts:

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday

Each script would back up using a different Backup set and each
script would only trigger on the day specified.   The tape is named
the same as the backup set, so it should automatically change to that
tape.

I personally have restored many computers after doing incrementals
for a week.  I've had computers die over the weekend and since the
new backup happens on weekends, that means restoring from the
previous weekends full backups and all the incrementals.
Fortunately, Retrospect handles ALL of that for you.  You just click
"Restore most recent"