I've no personal opinion beyond than that Colin's decision should be
respected — but the law graduate part of me couldn't let it lie so,
for the sake of playing devil's advocate:

(i) people would be more likely to buy the hardware because it would
be more likely that developers had produced software for it; and
(ii) in any case they'd be no less likely to because if they don't buy
hardware that is emulated then they don't have a Sam to plug it into.

I would phrase the other argument more that:

(i) emulation reduces the perceived value of hardware, so will either
push prices down or affect sales; and
(ii) in any case is a fundamentally different experience from that
Colin intended, so could accurately be described as an unapproved
gross distortion of his efforts. Which is naturally not something he'd
want.