From: John E. Stevens <jonellis.steven...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: CS>Vitamin B 5 for you old lab rats...
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Date: Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 6:06 AM

Good advice, Dave.  Pantothenic Acid has always been a good stress reducer.
I've been taking a minimum of 100 - 200 mg daily for 35 years.

John

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 12:50 AM, Dan Nave <bhangcha...@gmail.com> wrote:

"Medical researchers studying vitamin B 5 or pantothenic acid noticed

that it could, in what seemed to be megadoses (compared to the minimum

daily requirement) largely reverse certain degenerative effects of

aging. These researchers were measuring endurance in rats as it

decreased through the aging process. How they made this measurement

may appear to some readers to be heartless, but the best way to gauge

the endurance of a rat is to toss it into a five gallon bucket of cold

water and see how long it swims before it drowns. Under these

conditions, the researcher can be absolutely confident that the rat

does its very best to stay alive.

"Young healthy rats can swim for 45 minutes in 50° Fahrenheit water

before drowning. Old rats can only last about 15 minutes. And old rats

swim differently, less efficiently, with their lower bodies more or

less vertical, sort of dog paddling. But when old rats were fed

pantothenic acid at a very high dose for a few weeks before the test,

they swam 45 minutes too. And swam more efficiently, like the young

rats did. More interestingly, their coats changed color (the gray went

away) and improved in texture; they began to appear like young rats.

And the rats on megadoses of B 5 lived lot longer–25 to 33 percent

longer than rats not on large doses of B 5. Does that mean "megadoses"

of B 5 have an unknown drug-like effect? Or does that mean the real

nutritional requirement for B 5 is a lot higher than most people

think? I believe the second choice is correct. To give you an idea of

how much B 5 the old rats were given in human terms, the FDA says the

minimum daily requirement for B 5 is about 10 milligrams but if humans

took as much B 5 as the rats, they would take about 750 milligrams per

day.

"Incidentally, I figure I am as worthy as any lab rat and take over

500 milligrams daily."

How and When to Be Your Own Doctor

by Dr. Isabelle A. Moser with Steve Solomon

http://starthealthylife.com/page263.htm

Read on-line or have the free e-book e-mailed to you from that site.