On 8/16/2013 6:55 PM, phoenix23002 tds.net wrote:
'They' say a good test to know whether your honey has been 'sugared' or not is whether any of it crystallizes in the bottom of the jar over time. We have a local beekeeper whom I get honey from, 3 - 4 jars at a time. The jar of honey we are using now has been opened for at least 3 - 4 months and I bought it last summer. We don't refrigerate it.. just leave it on the shelf in the pantry or on the kitchen table. So far, not a speck of crystalized sugar in the bottom.

Not really. All honey is a super saturated solution of glucose and fructose (mostly). If seeded, all will crystallize. Some honeys, those that contain more glucose, crystallize readily. This includes dandelion, aster and goldenrod in my area. What a lot of people don't know is that if you have a jar that crystallizes, and you end up with a layer of liquid on top, that liquid will contain mainly the fructose and the water from the part that crystallized. The additional water can make it ferment. Here is a good article on it: http://www.montcobeekeepers.org/Documents/Honey_Crystallization.pdf which has a table of which honeys crystallize fastest.
I used to buy my honey from Vermont Country Store and it was wonderful quality. They quit carrying locally gathered honey for some reason and I had to look around for another source. It was my good fortune to locate a beekeeper locally.

Good.

Marshall
Lola H.