Hi Marshall,
Yes, crystallization isn't necessarily a sign of being 'sugared'. Indeed, I'm
more apt to be suspicious of honey that doesn't crystallize. Our honey always
crystallized (lots of goldenrods and two different asters of late summer). The
only heat our raw honey ever knew was from the capping knife; other than that,
it was pure, raw, untreated in any way. Our old beekeeper mentor told us to
feed sugar syrup in the winter if too many thaws made the bees use up their
stores and the supers went 'light'. We only did that once, then always left
enough supers of comb to guarantee they'd get through to the gathering season.

We no longer keep our 14 hives (too taxing when my Lyme disabled me, and swarms
always seemed to happen on the hottest, most difficult days of summer) but
friends 'round the block keep bees now, and the neighborhood honey is as
wonderful as ever.

It's so important to have local honey from the same flowers and grasses, the
same pollens that get up our noses and irritate. Local honey in hot tea in the
Spring will usually offset this problem.

Be well,
Léna