On 08/30/2015 09:11 PM, evelyn wrote:
This is from Sota's website:
(snip)
6000 gauss and 2500 gauss are the settings.  These are
astronomical and if you have a neighbor who is elderly or
has environmental illness. or a seizure disorder, this could
harm them.Â

These should be used only in a magnetic-shielded enclosure.

That depends entirely on the size of the coils,
because the magnetic near field field
falls off in strength, with distance,
in proportion to the size of the coil
generating the field.

A 20 foot diameter coil might, indeed,
affect the neighbors in the next apartment.
A 3 inch coil generating 6000 gauss
would have a field strength
well below that of the Earth, (a half gauss)
next door.
Size matters, in this case.

After you get about 2 coil diameters away, the field strength falls off as the cube of distance. So a 3 inch coil has a near field (that varies more with direction than distance) out to about 6 inches. Then, whatever field there is, there, falls to 1/8 that (1/(2 cubed)) at 12 inches, 1/27 (1/(3 cubed)) at 18 inches, 1/64 (1/(4 cubed)) at 24 inches, etc. That would drop the 6000 gauss field strength to less than 6000 gauss/64=94 gauss at two feet from the 3 inch coil. And that is an upper limit, depending on coil shape and from the coil direction. Some directions would see much less magnetic field.

I don't know what size coils the Sota unit uses. But I am guessing they are not something you lie down inside of.

--
Regards,

John Popelish

Archives: