On 25/03/07, david <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I contacted skype about this.. but of course they didn't properly read
what I said. Ah well.. at least they replied. See their reply and my
original message below.

Skype freezes ubuntu 6.10 completely, but for about one or two minutes,
after which there is an error message in skype and then normal function
returns.

I've just got around to check Skype's Linux forums and it appears to
be a very well known problem (TM), for a long time and with absolutely
zero response from Skype.
I resort to Ctrl-Q (quit)/restart Skype whenever I remember to do this
so it won't happen next time someone calls me on Skype.
Also when I manage to use it, almost invariably the second call on it
will be very choppy until I restart skype. VERY VERY annoying but
that's what we use at work and it's still the only way to communicate
with Windows users through double-NAT.

It seems that some other process is using ALSA (?) but what? and
shouldn't ALSA be able to handle several processes?

Apparently it's a Skype-specific issue, not ALSA.

Does anyone else have a solution to this problem? It happens on a
frequent but irregular basis.. enough to be embarrassing when I tell
people how wonderful linux is.

If you find any, I'll be very delighted to hear. I tried running
OpenWengo but it seems to freeze on the initial "settings" window, and
I'm not yet sure how useful it'll be through double-NAT and with
another SIP device already setup on my LAN (a Sipura-3000 ATA).

--Amos