On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:18:02 +1000
"Amos Shapira" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 26/03/07, Alan L Tyree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I use Ekiga connected to a Gizmo account to talk to lots of people.
> > The Gizmo client for Windows is good - I haven't tried the Linux
> > one for ages since Ekiga is so good. Ekiga allows you to register
> > to multiple accounts.
>
> I tried Ekiga a while ago (a year or so) and couldn't make it connect
> through ADSL.
> My Linux box is on a NAT behind that modem and I did some
> port-forwarding and still Ekiga never managed to connect.
> Are you using it behind NAT? Was there any special setup to do on the
> Windows/other side of the connection?
> (I suppose I could do lots of stuff if only the other side was more
> computer literate, but they totally aren't, they are on the other side
> of the world, and don't have anyone to support them).

I am behind a NAT router (Billion Bipac 5100) and it connects using the
Ekiga STUN server without any port forwarding. I talk to a friend who
has the same setup only with some other brand of router (forget what it
is right now) through the ekiga.net network. And, as I mentioned above,
I talk to Winders users through the Gizmo network.

The only trouble that I have had with it is that some of the codecs
don't seem to work well. I get good Gizmo connections with GSM and talk
to FWD people with PCMU. For some reason, the Speex codecs have caused
me grief, but I haven't tried them for some time.

Alan

> Thanks,
>
> --Amos
> --

Tel: +61 2 4782 2670            Mobile: +61 427 486 206
Fax: +61 2 4782 7092            FWD: 615662