On 04/12/2012 10:23, Brent McPherson wrote:
Hi Eugen,

Yes, it would be simple to do with the Tool SDK.

In fact, we already have a spot light creation tool example that ships with
Softimage (search for SpotLightCreateTool in the custom tools addon) so only
the reflected ray part would need to be added.

Anyone up for the challenge? ;-)

Belatedly picking up the gauntlet and thread. Had some time to fiddle around with the Tool SDK over the Christmas holidays and cannibalised the SpotLightCreateTool as Brent suggested. Tool SDK has been great to work with. I'm in renewed awe of Piotrek Marczak's work (Meshpaint, Soft Transform) using the SDK. First usable stab linked below (addon and movie).

http://julianjohnsonsblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/place-specular-highlights.html

Julian