From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Julian
Sent: 09 January 2013 20:34
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: Place Highlight Tool

On 09/01/2013 20:15, Eugen Sares wrote:
> Ok, tested it. What you do is create a new light every time the tool
> is called.
> May I suggest something? It would be better if you allowed selected
> lights to be moved instead of creating new ones, keeping the distance
> between the light and the surface.
> This way, you could also ignore the light type (spot, omni,
> directional, VRay, Arnold, whatever). Light is light...
> Would that be possible?
> For convenience, you could also attach the command to the "Transform"
> menu.

Hi Eugen,

Thanks for the great feedback! As you say, it's relatively straightforward to
swap out the light shader for a third party one. In Arnold's case some of the
light rigs require a bit more hand tweaking e.g. they automatically come with
expressions set on area scale etc.
Would be good to either have a preference setting or context menu to select the
light type you want to add and then build those presets into the tool so that
they're available.

The core code is based on the SDK SpotLightCreateTool which behaves exactly in
the way you're seeing. Moving existing lights is a priority and coming next :-)
but it might have to wait for another holiday period!

Thanks again,
Julian