Ok, tested it. What you do is create a new light every time the tool is called. May I suggest something? It would be better if you allowed selected lights to be moved instead of creating new ones, keeping the distance between the light and the surface. This way, you could also ignore the light type (spot, omni, directional, VRay, Arnold, whatever). Light is light...
Would that be possible?
For convenience, you could also attach the command to the "Transform" menu.
Best,
Eugen