>Until the underlying system memory allocator fails and then it go boom.  How
much goes boom is OS dependent.  Some OSes will only allow the errant
process go boom.  Others (such as those from Microsoft) the entire OS go
boom if the out of memory condition encompases the entire V=V address space.

Thanks Keith. So sqlite does look to increase the temp table's cache size if
it's not big enough? Looking at the results I posted earlier, why did that
not happen until cache_size was set to -500? Why didn't sqlite just
increased the cache_size from -400 to the required memory? Mind you, I'm
assuming the test results for cache_size <= -400 were slower because sqlite
resorted to HD but maybe that's not the case.