My apologies. The inserts in the above tests were made on a TEMP table which
I assumed was being created in the existing database. I've since discovered
that isn't the case.

*Tables created using the "CREATE TEMP TABLE" syntax are only visible to the
database connection in which the "CREATE TEMP TABLE" statement is originally
evaluated. These TEMP tables, together with any
associated indices, triggers, and views, are collectively stored in a
separate temporary database file that is created as soon as the first
"CREATE TEMP TABLE" statement is seen.*

Running the same tests again using an actual table (TEMP keyword omitted)
shows the in memory INSERT (and DELETE) to be twice as fast on the database
loaded into memory compared to when it's accessed from the SSD.The timings
in the original tests were similar to the in memory database suggesting the
TEMP table for those tests were created in memory regardless of whether the
actual database was loaded in memory or not. I can't see any documentation
suggesting that though. Could someone clarify?