On 19 Dec 2017, at 6:01pm, curmudgeon <tam118...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> 1) I read in those links that each temp table is given (by default) its own
> page cache of 500 pages. Is this a separately created page cache or is it
> 500 pages from THEE page chache? If it's the latter that will explain the
> slowdown for cache_size < -500. Or does the cache_size pragma dictate the
> size of the separately created page cache?

Each temporary table gets its own cache.

It works like this: Each attached file gets its own page cache, with a size
governed by SQLITE_DEFAULT_CACHE_SIZE and/or "PRAGMA cache_size" .  Each
temporary table declared is considered to be a separate attached file.

> 3) Similar to the original question, if you set temp_store = 2 (memory) and
> there isn't enough memory for the table what happens?

By 'memory' that web page is referring to whatever your operating system thinks
is memory.  So the same thing happens as would happen to any application which
tries to use a lot of memory: the virtual memory mechanism kicks in and memory
is swapped to and from disk.

Simon.