I apologize for not checking the FAQ before I asked this,  is see that there is an entry for it.  It does say to post to the list if someone has success or failure so I guess I wasn't totally off.

Bao, could you point me to documentation on how to enable USB in the Kernel.

These LEX machines have an internal compact flash slot so I will probably be trying that avenue also.

Thanks
Josh

Bao C. Ha wrote:
Hi Josh,

It does not work because, by default, pfSense does not have
USB support enabled in the kernel. I have enabled USB so I
can boot pfSense on Hacom's systems from USB flash drives,
as well as to be able to use USB keyboard and mouse.

Bao